20130704

Closets










Photo Sources: 1 /  2 L R / 3 L R / 4 / 5 L R / 6 L R / 7 / 8 L R / 9

For all the talk about clothes that goes on in this rag, we haven't really addressed the issue of storing them. Clothes storage may be a problem because oftentimes we have far too many clothing than our available space can accommodate. The best solution short of renovation is simply to stop copping all the things but then again that may be too difficult for someone infatuated with fashion.

In the meantime let's discuss closets. Storing clothes is a personal thing and everyone has a different way of going about it. A lot of people sort by color or material. I prefer arranging mine with a three-tier system going first by kind (jacket / button down / dress / etc), then by color (light to dark) and lastly, by sleeve length (sleeveless to long sleeves). I cannot remember how I ended up with that arrangement. Sadly, no photos of my closet since I'm currently in the middle of waging war with termites threatening to destroy everything. Goddamn wooden house. There is no describing the feeling when faced with the sight of termites crawling on your beloved clothes.

If you ask me, I prefer open layouts with just a clothes rack and a dresser instead of a walk in closet. A walk-in closet implies having a lot of clothes and that is something I'm not comfortable with. Besides, a tightly edited wardrobe doesn't need a lot of space. Shoes can be kept on the floor but I do love seeing a wall full of shoes lined up side by side.

Hanging your clothes rack from the ceiling is a great way of clearing up floor space, ideal for those with small bedrooms or studios. This set-up can be done in different ways with different materials depending on the style you're going for. Aside from rigging several metal pipes to the ceiling, chains and cable wires can also be used. For the rail itself, there are many choices ranging from wood to metal, again dependent on your style. I myself fancy a tree branch hanging rack, a la Love Aesthetics. For lazy bodies, this rack from Annaleenas Hem designed to be suspended is a nice alternative.

Obviously this set of photos favor minimalist styles and wardrobes. I do encourage everyone to pare down their closets. Not only will it be easier to store them and free up space but will make dressing in the mornings far easier. Seeing and knowing exactly where everything is makes the process a breeze instead of a dreadful task, all thanks to a neat and tidy closet.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly you have to live in a big house to have this kind of wardrobes! I would love to, but the only thing I have is a clothes rack where I hang the things I don't wash every time I wear them like coats, scarves, jeans. And shoes are right there on the floor, which is nice but makes it hell to clean my room! The rest of the shoes are stacked in boxes and suitcases. So sad! And talking about clothes, I havetoo many drawers. Hate them, things have folding marks when you wear them and you can never find what you're looking for! I love your wardrobes selection tho! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good ideas here. Open storage for clothes and shoes would certainly tempt one to reduce clutter while maintaining a well-edited wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how i wish one day i'd wake up and my wardrobe would have streamlined itself into a beautiful pile. the more i buy the less i wish i had. it's quite ironic but thanks for this post - it has definitely inspired me to edit down my overflowing closet!

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.