20130429

This Weather Can Kill You


Thrifted gauzy tunic / Vest repurposed as a half skirt / Same old jeans / Docs

I'm not kidding with that title. That's not even the first casualty for this year.

Manila is literally unbearable right now. Temperatures average 36°C and add to that  high humidity and terrible pollution and you've got yourself a populace making their best impressions of Meltman. I'm lucky I'm cooped up in an office with the AC on full blast most of the day away from the searing heat, but I commute to work and let me tell you, rush hour stuck in a train filled to the rafters with fellow sweaty commoners does not set a nice tone for the rest of the day.

Yet it's not even May but from the looks of it monsoon rains are fast approaching. You know those flying insects that swarm the lights at night that signal the rainy season? We had those a week ago. My unsubstantiated observation is that the Philippines is having shorter but much more intense summers. In the meantime we gnash our teeth and suffer through hell on earth, only to wade through chest deep floodwaters once the typhoons start coming. You cannot win in this country.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I could stand it. The heat in Sydney, where I live, is a humid heat but nothing compared to Manila. It makes me so uncomfortable - my hair won't behave, I can't wear the clothes I like...

    Well done for looking still so elegant, so put together. It's hard in such intense climates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of the few times I managed to look somewhat decent this summer. Definitely my least favorite time of the year.

      Delete
  2. Tell me about it! I've been having terrible breakouts on my face due to this terrible weather+pollution combo. I've just started my OJT and commuting is unavoidable. It's such a drag... =_=

    ReplyDelete
  3. how are you coping in docs in that heat then, are you drawn to something lighter? The commute sounds hellish, i thought ours was bad but it never gets about 20 here really. i'll stop complaining now i've read this. sounds like you cant win, it's a winning outfit though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Docs surprisingly don't feel stifling in the heat at all, which is great since they're what I'm wearing most of the time since I got them.

      Delete
  4. I moan constantly about the weather here in Scotland. It rains pretty much 80% of the time here. It's May at it's barely reaching 4 degrees here. I'm still wearing 2 coats and wool tights!

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.