20121028

Notes on Printmaking Pt.1



t: Initial attempts on Printmaking, in order of creation. First ever print, an over-wiped second press, third try with a colored background using two plates / b: detail of the third press.

Some months ago I said I would take up a couple of classes as a remedy to what at that time felt like a general disinterest in life. Unfortunately I wasn't able to enroll in the free sewing course at a nearby public high school due to conflicting schedules with my day job, which is a shame because I was looking forward to it. It would've been tremendously useful given my proclivities.

Last week I started attending a small printmaking workshop. This particular workshop focuses on intaglio techniques as opposed to relief printmaking, which are offered during the summer. Take a smooth surface and using a sharp instrument you scratch out your design. Apply paint, wipe off the excess and put it through a printing press. The paint settles in the grooves and pressing transfers it to paper, creating a reverse image. So far we've done etching on acrylic surfaces and these are the results of the first plate I've ever created. If this seems familiar it's because I've already done a pen and ink version before, as seen here. This weird flower-type doodle is a recurring motif in my work, probably because I find it's the easiest thing I can draw in a pinch yet manages to look somewhat complicated.

The workshop is a weekly 6-part course, so expect more of this type of posts in the future. 

6 comments:

  1. Great work! Can't wait to see more..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good detailing for the type of printing. I think all three pieces are complete in each of their own ways. Hope to see more prints create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently started an Intaglio class because the Screenprinting class I wanted to take was full and now I'm totally hooked. Slow process but it can be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be very tiring (especially on the hands!) but the results are well worth it.

      Delete
    2. Very very worth it! It's so beautiful. O_O

      Delete
  4. really striking results, although i can't quite get my head around how the process works. i look forward to seeing more from the course

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.