20120724

Work, Among Other Things


My desk, in a rare state of cleanliness.

I've been working under my current employer for a full year. It's my first 'real' job out of college, first time to pay taxes, first time to deal with corporate clients. A lot of firsts--not all were fun, but all were enlightening. 

While I was still in school I looked forward to employment. Designing for a living seemed like an absolute dream. People are going to pay me to do what I love. Imagine that. To me, there was no other way to spend my life and as graduation was fast approaching I felt vindicated after years of feeling belittled by relatives for choosing a career in something as trivial as art instead of a solid, useful profession like nursing, then and now the degree du jour for Filipinos. Or the fact I turned down a slot in the country's premier state university in favor of a college of what they perceived as a black hole where all the rich kids disappeared to when they were too dumb to be admitted to other schools. One of my relatives (whom I actually liked) asked me to my face why I picked, to her mind, a degree best left to those with money because we weren't exactly wealthy and shouldn't I be doing my best to earn stockpiles of cash at the shortest amount of time once I get my diploma? My poor mother, saddled with a selfish daughter, never mind that she had a scholarship. Looking back I don't think my mom was that miserable; she looked quite pleased at my graduation.

Have I made the right decision? Perhaps. It's too early at this point in my life to declare that yes, this is my destiny and I'm on my way to do great things. I'm enjoying it and learning as much as I could before I move on to bigger responsibilities. I'm very grateful that I don't have to force myself to get up in the mornings and dread the start of what would be a slow, arduous day of drudgery, only to go home at night and feel your life slowly wasting away. I do feel that my work has purpose, although I routinely question the objectives of the industry I move in. For a first job, I feel like I got dealt with the long end of the stick, or maybe I'm still a starry-eyed young'n and therefore immune to the harsh realities of life. Who knows. I'll get back to you in a year.

5 comments:

  1. "Designing for a living seemed like an absolute dream. People are going to pay me to do what I love. Imagine that." gpoy.

    Hope you aren't drained and you feel like you made the right decision.

    Love, an Information Design student. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, there were certain people in my family who weren't really sure about my choice of education; music, then art. But fuck it, if it feels good then do it! And good for you that you're doing something you love, and are getting paid for it! That is my goal and I hope to reach it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank heavens you're in the arts because you're absolutely brilliant in what you're doing (based on what i have seen on this blog!). at the end of the day doing what you most love is the most fulfilling thing ever. seize the day mika. can't wait to see what else you have in store for all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.