20110617

Shophouses



Purvis Street


Mosque Street


Haji Lane


Purvis Street



Erskine Road

Shophouses in Singapore fascinate me. The color schemes of the facades, the decorative elements of the pillars and cornices, the varying styles depending on the period the building was built, the old world feel... I could go on and on. I found a book on shophouses in my sister's old office about the different design movements in shophouse design and it was interesting to note how Singaporeans meshed traditional Peranakan and Chinese design elements with Western ones to create spaces that are not only functional but striking as well. Kind of like how modern-day Singapore is now.

Prepare for a deluge of tourist-y photos.

3 comments:

  1. I want to be there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this really makes me want to go to Singapore. I haven't been, ever!

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.