20110630

How to Entice People to Buy Stuff They Dont Actually Need








How so? By silencing the rational side of their brain through clever store displays designed to excite all senses, thereby reducing their thoughts to a simple 'Aww, how cute!,' disregarding actual use and practicality of the item in question.

How to gain immunity? Carry no cash or plastic, or avoid shopping altogether. We are only human beings, subject to trickery and distraction.

I loved window shopping in Singapore. Not only are the stores neat and inviting, the staff/owners take their time to give attention to branding, which extends to their displays. I might have a slight bias because most of these photos are taken in shops at Haji Lane. Chain stores like Cotton On also have the disorder and chaos of say, Bench.

Things for sale are presented in a simple, organized, yet creative manner. Most racks aren't overstuffed, making sifting through them a breeze. I dislike it when I'm assaulted with too many choices. Shopping isn't limited to things to clothe and adorn yourself; books, notepads and decorative objects abound. The lighting is subdued. The shops smelled really, really good. The staff are generally helpful and courteous, but still keeping out of your way.

There was this one store that sells clothes made from bamboo and theirs were the softest shirts I had ever touched. How did I know their clothes are made from bamboo? Upon entering, the lady at the store handed me a postcard about their products and services (they also have a spa) then left me alone to wander around. There was also this store where the staff presented to me their new stuff, pointing out design details like embroidery and even gave me some tips as to how I can style their shirts. I had a nice chat with them. That never happens between me and salespeople.

In the end, I never bought anything from Haji Lane? Why? Discounting the fact that I couldn't afford the prices (though prices at Haji Lane are comparable to those at stores at the mall- I'm just a cheapskate), I found mainstream fashion in Singapore to be on the feminine, trendy side and that is not the way I dress. Singaporeans tend to prefer soft, muted colors and girly details such as ruffles, bows and curves. While I had a lot of fun looking at stuff, I had a hard time finding things I would wear. There is one store I'm particularly fond of, one which caters to my aesthetics (Mu Apparel, with shops at Bugis Junction and the Heeren). Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. I didn't really have a lot of time to wander around.

And so concludes my Singapore tourist tales.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! I enjoyed hearing about Singapore. Now I am completely convinced that I have to go there.

    It's true that attractive displays and a comfortable environment encourage me to buy, or at least consider buying.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.