20101124

Oh, Harry. Why Must You Disappoint?


tunic, thrifted / skirt, thrifted / leggings, landmark / plimsolls, advan

I've had this skirt... thing for some months now but I've only recently figured out how to wear it. Even now I'm not quite sure it is indeed a skirt. I got it for 15php at my favorite thrifting place in Edsa. Yup, folks, 15php. It was so cheap and I liked the cloth and color and thus it had to go home with me. My boyfriend said it reminded him of rags. I wore this when I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 just this Monday.

I guess I have to talk about the latest Harry Potter movie. It was, in a nutshell, disappointing. I've read the entire series and admittedly, the Deathly Hallows book isn't my favorite. I felt the book was a bit rushed, especially the action scenes. Oh the action scenes. I had such a difficult time plowing through the action sequences in the book that a lot of times I felt like my eyes were glazing over and I think I glossed over some parts of it. Plus, the ending. Oh the ending. Harry triumphed over Voldemort with the use of a Disarming Spell. Fucking Expelliarmus. How anticlimactic. I wanted bells and whistles and things and people exploding.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FIRST PART OF THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, DESIST. THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPHS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Given that, the first installment of the last Potter movie had to cover a lot of ground, with Harry, Ron and Hermione searching for the remaining Horcruxes and the Ministry of Magic finally ceding control to Voldemort. Non-readers of the series will have a hard time understanding much of the movie because while the movie is more faithful to the book than the two previous Potter movies, the Deathly Hallows books is so info-heavy that even when split into two instalments, the movie still had a lot of ground left uncovered, like leaving out a huge chunk about Dumbledore's family background and subsequent Dark Arts-leaning teenage years and his close friendship with Grindelwald. Another example would be the recurring visions Harry has about Voldemort tracking down Gregorovich and Grindelwald in search of the Elder Wand. These things were shown very briefly that they felt like minor details, when these parts in actuality are integral plot elements in the book. However, nothing final can be said because who knows, these things might be taken up in the second part.

While watching it I felt a profound sense of disconnect, like I really wanted to enjoy it but cant. It was a letdown, if I'm being honest. Maybe the fault lies in me. Maybe I expected too much. Whatever. For what reason I still dont know, maybe when I watch it again I'll get more into it, or at least discover the source of said disconnection. That being said, I think it's not as bad as the sixth movie. I actually cant remember much of that despite having watched it recently; it was that unremarkable.

Of course the movie still has its good sides. The production design is impeccable as always, and I love the color of the movie (kudos to the colorist). The Malfoy manor was exactly how I pictured it in my mind. The locations were perfect as well (kudos to the location scouts and the cinematographer). As for the actors, I noticed Rupert Grint beefed up a bit. Domnhall Gleeson as Bill Weasley looked like a bigger version of Fred/George. Speaking of Fred and George, one of my favorite scenes in the movie would be when Fred/George (I cant be certain which one) walked in on Harry and Ginny's kiss. That scene was precious. Actually, I enjoyed any scene with Fred and George in it, haha. Speaking of making out, did anyone else find the Harry/Hermione make-out hallucination extremely funny? I know it's not meant to be funny but I seriously laughed aloud in that scene. It was so... cheesy.

Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange will forever be my favorite. Every time she appeared onscreen was riveting. I hated Bellatrix but I like her a lot too. She's so crazy it's fun. Also, the Ministry propaganda poster designs are absolutely awesome. I loved that they adopted a Russian Constructivist style; it's perfect for the purpose of subjugating the Wizarding world. Also, why were the Snatchers... hot? One in particular (the one who smelled Hermione, I think he was Scabior, played by Nick Moran) looked like a rockstar instead of the grimy, disgusting bootlicker he is.

The best part of the movie in my opinion was the animation sequence in the retelling of the Tale of the Three Brothers. Such a virtuoso use of animation. From the character designs, to the transitions to the swaying of Death's cloak, it was ah-mazing. That was probably the saving grace of the movie.

I'd give the movie a seven. I would've given it a six if not for the combined forces of great casting (teehee), great production design and that awesome animation sequence. I really do hope things pick up in the second part because I want the Potter movie series to end with a bang. I think it would be better, since all the major action scenes I had such a tricky time dealing with in the book would be brought to life in ways only movies can (I pray). The break was nicely done, with Voldemort breaking into Dumbledore's tomb for the Elder Wand. While it wasn't exactly a cliffhanger, it gives one a sense of 'Fucking hell, finally, here come the exciting parts.' I cant wait for the next movie. I cant wait for the big Hogwarts battle. I cant wait to see all those characters die one by one and feel heartbroken with each fallen one. I cant wait to see how a childhood obsession will finally come to a close. I cant believe it's been nearly a decade since I first picked up a Potter book (The Prisoner of Azkaban, which is a totally stupid starting point because, duh, it's the third one). I think I'm going to cry at the end of the second part.

3 comments:

  1. I love this outfit, it looks like something from Commes des Garcons. I also saw Harry Potter and it seemd short, it was a little disapointing, and it was also really sad. They did leave out a ton of important stuff, but i love the actors. Still, much better than the 6th movie which i didn't like! I'm doing a giveaway: http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched the movie too. I think that it's normal for cinema adaptations to be lacking when it comes to information. For the most part, if they were to truly become faithful the book, the movie would be too long and would probably need 3-4 installations per book.

    It's kinda sad, when you think about it, coz they will never truly replicate the information on the book. But you know, if they make the adaptation as detailed as the book, it would kinda kill the point of reading.

    Just my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

I value freedom of speech but there's also a thing called respect.

Play nice.